Monday, February 15, 2016

Merlin, you old dog, you!


     I feel it is completely unnecessary to address Merlin's "origin story". It is irrelevant. He has shown how gallant and useful he can be in the worst of times and I, for one, think that is worth more than whatever poisonous beginnings he had. 

      All that really matters is that Merlin has chosen the path of Our Lord and has renounced his original purpose as malevolent as it were. His baptism proves that. He can't be all that bad anyway. He helped raise my cousin, Arthur, and he didn't turn out too bad. He's knightly, certainly Kingly, and although not quite as brave as I nor as beautiful as my beloved Olwen, he is the bravest knight I know. If Merlin can help turn out a man like that, he can't possibly be evil. 

      He also helped Uther form the Round table, and how I am still excluded from that, I do not know, but I'll get over it as a very great man, one of Arthur's best Knights, was able to get into that very...selective group. I'm not bitter *scoffs*. 

      As for the poor saps downfall, a prophet to fall in love? What is so wrong with that? Everyone deserves love. I long for my beloved whenever she is not with me, and if that is a sin, then I will suffer the consequences if only to wake up to her beautiful face every morning I am alive. Unfortunately, he couldn't manage to earn her affections in any honest way, and for that, he shan't be forgiven. 

I sought after my beloved, loving her and knowing I would continue to love her forevermore, earning her affections through my bravery and honor. It was simple really. If the prophet can't earn the love of a women he so craves, then how powerful could he possibly be? Sure, we've seen him in action, but to earn the affections of a woman is the greatest quest yet. He was unsuccessful in his quest and I fear, that is how it will always be. If this is any contest of his character, then how seriously can we take him? 

Forever in Doubt,
                                                                                       Culhwch




5 comments:

  1. Noble Culhwch,

    I understand how you fought for your beloved in an effortless quest. But for all journeys of true love, it is a test of our honor and character that lays our entire life in jeopardy. I myself was tested in this matter when I was married to the hag Regnelle, which I succeeded by offering her the secret of free choice. Merlin the Prophet failed in his challenge, which ultimately costed him his life. Remember in the scriptures how the Lord struck down the wife of the Prophet Ezekiel, in accordance to the saying "a Prophet is never welcomed in his own home".

    Yous obedient,
    Sir Valvan, the Knight of the Surcoat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that Merlin’s decisions and actions far outweigh any evil nature from his devilish beginnings. He continually sought to provide justice and aid the kingdom. Overall, he was indeed a great prophet, and he should be given the respect due to such a man.
    However, when Merlin first became infatuated with her, Viviane was less than fifteen, while Merlin was an old man. I suppose you many not find fault with this union since you fell for a giant’s daughter, but it is clear to me that what Merlin sought was not born out of true love for a woman. Merlin only wanted her out of lust for a girl. How could he be expected to earn the affections of a woman when she was so young?
    Despite his extensive capabilities with foresight, Merlin could not see what was really happening. In his old age, Merlin’s devilish beginnings must have returned to torment him, leaving him weak to this temptation. Merlin’s lust was depraved beyond human nature, so I contribute his weakness to his susceptibility toward the Enemy due to his origin.

    The Greatest Knight,
    Meleagant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Culhwch,

    I admire the bluntness in your reading - I really do. It's nice. In this case, though, I do not agree with you. Merlin going after a fifteen year old girl is gross. If you were a fifteen year old girl, would you want an old man trying to win you over? No mentally stable and well fifteen year old girl wants to be with a grandpa.

    King Uther Pendragon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Culhwch,

    While I understand why you want to see the good in Merlin, I must say that I disagree with your reasoning. I more than anyone understand what it is like to love and not be loved in return, but I think we should address the fact that Merlin's love was not even at the tender age of fifteen when he attempted this union. He was generations older than she, and while we live in a strange and interesting time, I still find this inappropriate. Yes, everyone deserves to be loved. But perhaps we should go about loving those who are more suitable as brides than flower girls, no?

    Love and lilies,
    Elaine of Astolat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that love is a wonderful thing and everyone should have it. My love,Iseult, is the most wonderful, beautiful, gentle, intelligent woman in all the land and I would be a broken man without her. However, one must ensure that the woman he loves is actually in love with him. Merlin's downfall was being so blindly in love that he couldn't see that his lady did not return his affection. It really is a shame, it's very useful to have a wizard around.

    Tristan

    ReplyDelete