Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Fallibility of Merlin



The Fallibility of Merlin
Are any of you lords, ladies, and knights disturbed to learn the origin of our prophet and sorcerer Merlin? Did you all not wonder where his powers came from? It should come as no surprise to anyone that the Enemy wanted to create a being to rival that of Jesus Christ. Why not? His jealousy and hatred of God and his creation is still and always will be his downfall.
Our Lord Merlin is indeed unique in God’s creation. I am not surprised that he learned to speak intelligently while still a babe. Why are you? A great prophet is not like ordinary people. He has the foresight of our creator, he has the wisdom to know good from evil, and he has the power to act righteously. We must not judge Merlin because of his origin. His mother’s seduction by the Devil was not his fault. Instead, we should remember that Merlin’s mother conceived him as did our Holy Mother Mary. She was a virgin. And when her son was born, what was her primary goal? It was to have Merlin baptized. He was not only born free of Original Sin, but he was also further cleansed by his Holy Baptism.
Let us instead turn our attention to Merlin’s downfall. It was because of a woman. Merlin had the audacity to fall in love. We forget that our great prophet and sorcerer was human. He was conceived of the Devil, born of a virgin, and gifted by God. However, his flesh was weak. He lusted after a woman and wanted her love. I do not condemn him for being human. His prophesy of the red dragon was invaluable to the brothers Pendragon and Uther. Why should he not enjoy the comforts of a woman like anyone else?
Because of the generosity of this flawed man, Britons have been gifted with one of the world’s greatest mysteries—Stonehenge. Can you imagine what the Salisbury Plain would look like without this holy monument? Would anyone care what went on in Wiltshire fifteen hundred years ago? And let us not forget the Round Table of our good King Arthur and his knights. I myself have tested Sir Gawain, and determined that he is virtuous, courageous, chaste, and honest. We should not focus on how Merlin came to be but on whether or not we can live up to the ideals to which he was dedicated. If only we could find the Holy Grail that used to reside in the center of the table among the good knights. That must be our quest

6 comments:

  1. Lord Bertilak,

    I would hardly consider myself worthy of the kind words you place upon me, but you were the one to have challenged my honor more than anyone else, and I thank thee for that. As for this Grail, I have heard my uncle speak of it many times in the presence of Merlin, being the most holy of relics originally held by St. Joseph of Arimethea. Surely, the honor an holiness of Camelot would be unparalleled if Arthur's court were able to find it.

    Yours Obedient,
    Sir Gawain, the Knight of the Surcoat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that Merlin’s decisions and actions far outweigh any evil nature from his devilish beginnings. He continually sought to provide justice and aid the kingdom. Overall, he was indeed a great prophet, and he should be given the respect due to such a man.
    However, Merlin’s intentions toward Viviane were far less virtuous. When Merlin first became infatuated with her, Viviane was less than fifteen, while Merlin was an old man. You do not find fault with this and contribute his lust to human nature, but I disagree. Merlin sought a union that was born of twisted desire and doomed to failure. Despite his extensive capabilities with foresight, Merlin could not see what was really happening. In his old age, Merlin’s devilish beginnings must have returned to torment him, leaving him weak to this temptation. Merlin’s lust was depraved beyond human nature, so I contribute his weakness to his susceptibility toward the Enemy due to his origin.

    The Greatest Knight,
    Meleagant

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with what Meleagant has to say about this. While Merlin was a great wizard, going after a fifteen year old girl...? Really? Even I would not stoop to that degree. I am all for relationships that most oppose, but the age gap in this one is too large for me.

    King Uther Pendragon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding on to what King Uther Pendragon said it is rather strange that he has to go after a fifteen year old. This man is supposedly a wizard yet he needs to go after such a young woman. Sure they may be tempting to some, but even for me that is taking it a little far

    Mordred

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lord Bertilak,

    Your words speak volumes about the times we live in and what an impact Merlin has made on our world. However, I must agree with Mordred and Uther when they say that Merlin's behavior in lusting after a young girl is inappropriate and unsettling to say the least, even in times such as these. As far as your suggestion to go on a quest in order to find the Holy Grail that has been spoken of for a while now, I think it is a marvelous idea, and I would love to be a part of it... If I was not a lady, of course. For now, I will just sit here, pining after my beloved and searching for the Grail in my dreams.

    Love and lilies,
    Elaine of Astolat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that the search for the holy grail is a most worthy cause! Surely it would be a most epic quest, something to be talked about throughout the ages! I also agree that we should not let Merlin's beginning cloud our perception of him as a man. He has been most helpful to our king and our kingdom.

    As I mentioned on another post, I agree that everyone deserves to have someone to love and be loved by. However one must make sure that the object of their affections is agreeable to the relationship.

    Tristan

    ReplyDelete