Sunday, January 31, 2016

King Arthur

   Greetings everyone.  My name is Arthur, I am the King of Camelot.  Like myself, my father, Uther Pendragon, was also a very brave king at one point.  He kept Britain protected and most importantly the citizens happy.  My mother Ygraine, had my father desperately in love, and all that was in the way was the Duke of Tintagels.  With a price, the wizard Merlin agreed to help and was able to cast a spell to make my father appear as the Duke, so he could spend the night in her chamber.  Soon after the Duke passed away, my father took over Tintagel and finally could marry my mother.  I was then born 9 months later, but because of the agreement between my father and Merlin, my mother was forced to hand me over to Merlin’s care. 

   Furthermore, I was taken to the castle of Sir Ector where I was raised with my foster brother, Sir Kay.  A couple months later my father became sick and soon passed away.  England became chaotic and confused and so Merlin was again asked for help.  Merlin’s solution: To put a magic sword in a stone, and only make the person fit to rule England able to to pull it out.  As I grew older, I really got to know Merlin and see how important he is to my life.  When I was fifteen he brought Sir Kay and I, in front of a crowd to the magic sword.  Sir Kay failed, but I was capable of pulling the sword out and was named King of England.  I created laws and rules to bring peace and soon named my kingdom Camelot.

   Just like my father, at one point I did not have a wife.  But that changed one night after fighting a battle against some invaders I woke up to the sound of harps throughout the castle.  I followed them to the most beautiful women sitting all alone in her chamber.  Her name was Guinevere.  As soon as I laid eyes on her, I wanted to marry her.  So the next day I asked her to marry me.  She is the most significant person in my life and I will do anything to keep her happy.

   I went to battle with a lot of courageous knights.  One in particular is Lancelot, who was one of my finest knights of all.  Going to battle as much as I do, you need a lot of motivation.  By having the support from my community, family, knights and of course my lovely wife, it gives me the confidence to be the best leader I can be.  And as leader of Camelot I value protection, and strength and I have “never found another of equal strength” (“Arthur in Geoffrey of Monmouth” 77).  

Farewell,

- King Arthur


http://www.heroofcamelot.com/legend/

Lacy, Norris J., and James J. Wilhelm. The Romance of Arthur: An Anthology of Medieval Texts Translation. London: Routledge, 2013. Print.



No comments:

Post a Comment