Sunday, January 31, 2016

Balin

Good riddance,

I am Sir Balin, also known as the Knight With the Two Swords. I reign from the great land of Northumberland. I have one brother with whom I adore greatly, Balan. Not one single person could ever come between my brother and I. With deepest sorrows our mother and father are both deceased. My father was killed in a battle and my mother was wrongfully executed by burning to her death. 

Unfortunately my relationship with King Arthur did not get off to a great start. In a battle I killed a man who just happened to be Arthur's cousin. For some reason this rubbed Arthur the wrong way and he imprisoned me for six months.

In my mind I am definitely one of Arthur's best Knights. Even Merlin told Arthur himself that I am one of the mightier knights out of all of his court and that I am the best and the bravest. But you can't blame a guy for holding a grudge for six months.

While it is an honor to be named the best and the bravest it can be a bit of a problem for me. Unfortunately I do not know when to stop. After Arthur released me from jail I continued to fight to try to regain his respect again. One afternoon a damsel appointed Arthur about a sword that was stuck on the front of her for enchantment. But only somebody who was equally courageous could draw it from her. When Arthur gave me a chance, I was the one who got the sword. since then, I tried to im
press him. It also was not surprising that all other knights were envious of my success.

Everything was going my way, just the way I like it. Until the Lady of Avalon informed Arthur and I that the sword must be given back unless I wanted to fight till death with the one I love the most. But since I would not return the sword that I rightfully earned she insisted the head of the woman who gave me the sword or the head of I, the one and only Balin who broke free the sword. So instead I drew my sword and beheaded the Lady of Avalon. This obviously did not go over well with Arthur…again.I once again, got myself begging for Arthur's respect and banished from the court. “Now take this head and ride with it to my kinsmen in Northumberland. Tell them my news: how I was released from prison, won the sword, and killed my deadliest enemy” I said to my squire. And now everybody knows my name.

Farewell,
Sir Balin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Balin

http://d.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/text/tennyson-balin-and-balan

Malory, Thomas, and Keith Baines. Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur: King Arthur and the Legends of the round Table: The Classic Rendition. New York: New American Library, 2001. Print

No comments:

Post a Comment