Sunday, January 31, 2016

King Uther Pendragon

Hello Knights and Maidens,

           I am the former King of Britain, King Uther Pendragon, preceded by my son, King Arthur. Before me, my brother, Aurelius Ambrosius, was the king. While with Merlin on a quest, given to us by my brother, a strange celestial event occurred. From this event, the great Merlin was able to prophesize the forth-coming of a glorious king, my unborn son – at the time – Arthur, and our righteousness as kings. Unbeknownst to me and Merlin, King Aurelius was being poisoned at the time of this prophecy. Soon after my dear brother’s death, I was named King of Britain. (“Arthur in Geoffrey of Monmouth” 61).

            
The next Easter, I held a grand event in London and noticed a beautiful maiden, Igerna. She just so happened to be the wife of the Duke of Cornwall, but I was not going to let that get in the way of my infatuation with her. It was love at first sight for me and I was willing to do anything to get her, which I did. I normally try to be just and fair, when I knew that Igerna was my soulmate, so I had to do anything and everything to get her. Merlin helped me win her over by giving me a special potion that allowed me to appear physically as the Duke of Cornwall. Merlin, Ulfin, and I soon snuck into the Duke of Cornwall’s castle in Tintagel. Once inside, I went into Igerna’s chamber and lay with her. Anything I wanted her to do, she did.  It was this night that she conceived our son, Arthur. (“Arthur in Geoffrey of Monmouth” 62).

            Once the Duke of Cornwall’s guards realized the province had been compromised, a battle quickly took place, with the Duke being one of the first to be slain. Due to her husband’s passing, Igerna became my wife and we lived together in Tintagel Castle – once I took it, of course. Together, we had our son, Arthur, and our daughter, Anna, but Arthur is the famous one so many people only pay attention to him – sorry Anna. (“Arthur in Geoffrey of Monmouth” 64).

            During my time as king, I did my best to make my people happy and prosperous. Although my kingdom had its downfalls here and there, there was always a light at the end of the road. I could not have done any of it without the help of my one true love, Igerna. Without her I would be nothing – shoutout to Merlin, you wicked wizard. After my death, damn Saxon poison, my son, Arthur, took the throne at the mere age of 15.  With the guidance of Merlin and his knights, King Arthur ruled over his kingdom of Camelot, conquered many lands, and brought peace and happiness to his people. He went on to be one of the most legendary kings of all time, and I could not be more proud of my son. Some might perceive me as “selfish” and “deceitful,” but I simply just know what I want and how to get it. In the long run, I was always loyal and selfless to those I loved the most, and did what was best for my people. Who could blame me for trying to be happy? 


Till next time,
King Uther Pendragon

Lacy, Norris J., and James J. Wilhelm. The Romance of Arthur: An Anthology of Medieval Texts Translation. London: Routledge, 2013. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment