Sunday, January 31, 2016

Greetings Brothers and Sisters,

I am Sir Galahad, knight of the Round Table and seeker of the Holy Grail. And although it pains me to introduce myself as such, I am the illegitimate son of Lancelot and Elaine of Corbenic. However, I was raised by my great aunt, an abbess, at a nunnery. It was here that my great faith and purity were instilled in me. When I came of age, I met my father, Lancelot, who knighted me at a convent.

From there I traveled on to Camelot to meet King Arthur and the knights of the Round Table at the feast of Pentecost. Upon my arrival, the King instructed me to join them at the table and sit in the only vacant chair, the Siege Perilous. This seat was reserved by Merlin for the knight who would find the Holy Grail and would kill any who were not worthy. Through the grace of God, by virtue of my own purity, I was deemed worthy to sit upon the Siege Perilous. Upon seeing this, Arthur bids me attempt to draw a sword, destined for the best knight in the world, from a stone, which I do with ease. My shield, marked with the blood of my great ancestor, will guard only me, and a knight of the Lord will strike down any who attempt to wield it.

My greatest calling came to me that night of Pentecost when I and the knights of the Round Table were granted a vision of the Holy Grail. Although the King also granted the quest to Sir Bors and Sir Percival, it is clear that I and I alone am worthy of the grail. As such, I mostly traveled on my own, except to save Sir Percival and finally reach the Grail. Oh how glorious it was to lay eyes on the Grail at long last! Upon finding the Holy Grail, I am given one final charge: to take the Grail to the city of Sarras.
Image result for holy grail
On our way back to Camelot, I am granted one final vision. Joseph of Aramathea, from whom I trace my lineage, visits me and I request to die. Having completed my task here on earth, my request is granted and I ascend with the angels to heaven. Never again will there be a knight worthy of the Grail.

Yours in Christ,

Sir Galahad


http://d.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/theme/galahad

No comments:

Post a Comment