Saturday, February 20, 2016

The Green Knight is the Grynch in Disguise...



                Ugh, why do people have to ruin my feast time? I look forward to feast time, partying, gifts, not seeing some dude get his head cut-off. I was slightly impressed when that dude rode off without his head on his shoulders.
                Why is this dude and his horse green? I could overlook his cockiness and rude behavior but the line has to be drawn somewhere. I bet this guy does not wear camouflage when hunting. I do not mean to be crass, but he looks like gorgeous grass. Okay, now I am done making fun of the color of this dude. I am just not going to even get started on his green horse.
                We either need to send the green knight to rehab, the hospital, or a therapist. Nobody in their right mind would beg someone to cut off their head and then ask them to come find them in one year. I could understand this request if he was an addict, but none of his other behaviors point into that direction. I think the hospital is the best bet. They will perform a psychological evaluation there. I am not judging (too harshly), just trying to help the green dude out. Health and sanity are very important to live a happy life.
                I am so proud of Gawain for accepting this quest, but it is not the first time you have done something brave. I know this is out of my character, but you did go after Queen Guinevere and me in the tale of "The Knight in the Cart." I am sure you will be fine along your journey, just keep your confidence up. This journey will be cold, long, and difficult. There is no simple path for you to follow as you have found thus far into your quest. My main concern is that you may be too kind to be able to complete this quest on your own. Remember what we learned in "The Knight in the Cart," sometimes nice people can actually be taking advantage of your naivety. This lord's behavior seems legit but he also seems a little too friendly. You should not wait until the last day to go to the place he says the green knight is. I know that in this day and age we trust just about everyone we meet and that has been the downfall in multiple stories we have read. Wow, being nice is exhausting. I do not know how you do it all the time, Gawain the good. I hope you don't die! I am sure you will figure something out...


The bestest knight ever,
Sir Kay 
 Sir Kay breaketh his sword at ye Tournament, by Howard Pyle from The Story of King Arthur and His Knights. (1903)






Resources 
Lacy, Norris J., and James J. Wilhelm. The Romance of Arthur: An Anthology of Medieval Texts in Translation. London: Routledge, 2013. Print. 
               

No comments:

Post a Comment